[j-nsp] ifIndex Interface Persistence

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Apr 10 11:58:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Stefan Fouant wrote:
> Does Juniper have a knob similar to Cisco which can enable ifIndex
> interface persistence, or is this enabled by default?  I've looked
> through the JUNOS documentation and can't find anything...

As far as I know, ifindexes automatically persist across reboots and
similar events.

If you just have one routing engine and it dies (and you replace it
with a new one, just copying the config), you will lose the indexes;
but the same happens with Cisco unless you copy ifIndex table from
NVRAM manually as well.