[j-nsp] J-series stateful firewall / NAT architecture

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Wed Apr 16 03:20:15 EDT 2008

* Alex Campbell:

> My first question is whether this is a terrible idea.

With a reasonably-sized filter configuration (about 100 terms), our
J4350 can handle just a few thousand new connections per second, and
can be maxed out with very little traffic (certainly below E3/DS3 line
speed).  In our case, the overload was even triggered by non-malicious
traffic. 8-/

We're currently migrating to stateless filters and hope that this
problem does not occur.  If it does, we'll move the filtering to a
separate box, this time using Netfilter.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99