[j-nsp] MPLS RSVP Juniper to Cisco

Hexamon Nexus hexamonnexus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 13:07:23 EDT 2008

I have done it with Catalysts in the past.  Some comments inline

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Supanekar, Harsh V <
harsh_v_supanekar at fanniemae.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone configured RSVP LSP between Juniper M series router and the
> Cisco ISO SR series router.
> >From the error message on the Juniper side (see below), it show that the
> Cisco side is not configured for RSVP.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>

> juniper at LAB1# run show mpls lsp detail
> Ingress LSP: 1 sessions
>
> 20.20.20.1
>  From: 10.20.20.1, State: Dn, ActiveRoute: 0, LSPname: j-c
>  ActivePath: (none)
>  LoadBalance: Random
>  Encoding type: Packet, Switching type: Packet, GPID: IPv4
>  Primary                    State: Dn
>    SmartOptimizeTimer: 180
>    2 Apr 21 19:17:10.383 10.10.90.2: Non-RSVP capable router
> detected[50 times]
> Total 1 displayed, Up 0, Down 1
>

> CISCO CONFIGURATION
>
> mpls traffic-eng tunnels

!IOS and JUNOS do not agree on what label 0 should do.  The Juniper will
signal PHP, which IOS will interpret as UHP.  This knob will address that,
so that IOS will PHP if it is the penultimate hop and a Juniper is the
termination point; if that is indeed your topology.
*  mpls traffic-eng signalling advertise implicit-null*
!I don't see TE metrics, so perhaps you want the following as well (???)
CSPF is indispensable  in a production environment.
* mpls traffic-eng path-selection metric igp*

> interface Tunnel1
>  ip unnumbered Loopback10
>  tunnel destination 10.20.20.1
>  tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng
>  tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

! You might also consider the following:
*    tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 1 dynamic *
*    tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-selection metric igp*

> !
> interface Loopback10
>  ip address 20.20.20.1 255.255.255.255
>  ip ospf 1 area 0
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
>  mtu 9178
>  ip address 10.10.90.2 255.255.255.252
>  ip ospf 1 area 0
>  negotiation auto
>  mpls traffic-eng tunnels
>  mpls ip
>  no cdp enable
>  ip rsvp bandwidth
>  ip rsvp resource-provider none

!In the past, some Cisco boxes have required you to also include the legacy
command of :
*     tag-switching ip*
!Juniper likes hellos, as well, e.g.:
*     ip rsvp signalling hello*
*      ip rsvp signalling hello refresh interval 1000*

> !
> router ospf 1
>  log-adjacency-changes
>  mpls traffic-eng router-id Loopback10
>  mpls traffic-eng area 0
> !

!Juniper's RSVP implementation likes hellos.  You may want to add:
*   ip rsvp signalling hello*

> JUNIPER CONFIGURATION
>
> ge-0/2/0 {
>    mtu 9192;
>    unit 0 {
>        family inet {
>            address 10.10.90.1/30;
>        }
>        family mpls;
>    }
> }
>
> lo0 {
>    unit 0 {
>        family inet {
>            address 10.20.20.1/32;
>        }
>    }
> }
>
> routing-options {
>    static {
>        route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 10.10.90.2;
>    }
> }
> protocols {
>    rsvp {
>        interface ge-0/2/0.0;
>    }
>    mpls {
>        label-switched-path j-c {
>            to 20.20.20.1;

/* Why no CSPF??? Is this a lab exercise? */

>            no-cspf;
>        }
>        interface ge-0/0/0.0;
>        interface ge-0/2/0.0;
>    }
>    ospf {
>        traffic-engineering;
>        area 0.0.0.0 {
>            interface ge-0/2/0.0;
>            interface lo0.0;
>        }
>    }
> }

If you inted to put this into production, we have successfully deployed
Juniper/Cisco interoperable tunnels using autobandwidth.  It may be worth
looking into operating in this mode.  Static LSP tweaking doesn't scale very
well to hundreds of LSPs.
Best of luck to you.