[j-nsp] router for IX

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com Keegan.Holley at sungard.com
Tue Aug 19 17:39:09 EDT 2008

It also depends on the usage.  For example I've seen M5's doing l3vpns
with less than 20 peers crash after a peering bounces.  If you are just
doing vanilla E-BGP with the IX members you should be fine with the M7i.
I'd limit your maximum prefixes where possible though.

P Think before you print

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

<alain.briant at bt.com>
Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
08/19/2008 11:39 AM

<matthias at commy.de>, <juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [j-nsp] router for IX

Hi Matthias

I don't know where you could find the limit on the M7i but like you said
it's the next smallest router after the Jseries, but it has a big
difference which is it's an hardware based router opposed to the Jserie.

I have on one of my customer's network some M7i with about 65 peers , 7
external BGP and 58 internal working fine.
These router are not connected to he Internet but are exchanging up to
13000 routes with peers.

I think that this router will do the job for you but more precisely you
will need to have a look of the throughput you would like to have globally
on your router (globally the M7i will be about 7Gig of throughput, well in
fact you can connect 5 Giga interfaces fully loaded without problem).

Hope this help
Regards
Alain