[j-nsp] cogent bgp example?

Korey Verlsteffen korey at securenetsystems.net
Thu Aug 21 11:22:28 EDT 2008

>Hi, I'm a small site and I'm just getting ready to go live with a
>cogent connection. But, I'm finding myself a bit confused by their
>Peer A / Peer B description. I can find some examples of multihop
>things, but none seem very clear.
>
>Can someone send a basic cogent bgp setup?
>
>thanks
>seph

Peer A starts the initial connection to Cogent.  Peer B is for advertising the routes.

A.A.A.A = Cogent Peer A IP address
B.B.B.B = Cogent Peer B IP address
X.X.X.X = Your interface IP (assigned by Cogent)

protocols {
    bgp {
            group Cogent-Peer-A {
            type external;
            neighbor A.A.A.A {
                import cogent-peer-policy; ### Set this policy to allow all from Cogent Peer A
                authentication-key "xxx"; ### Set your bgp password that was assigned to you from Cogent
                export my-bgp-network; ### Policy that advertises your routes to Cogent
                peer-as 174;
            }
        }
        group Cogent-Peer-B {
            type external;
            local-address X.X.X.X;
            neighbor B.B.B.B {
                multihop {
                    ttl 6;
                }
                import cogent-policy; ### Policy to allow all routes from Cogent or filter them as needed
                authentication-key "xxx"; ### Set your bgp password that was assigned to you from Cogent
                peer-as 174;
            }
        }

You will need to set your IP assigned by Cogent on the loop back interface

 interfaces {
        lo0 {
        description Loopback;
        unit 0 {