[j-nsp] Can't assign requested address ??

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Aug 26 02:50:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Farhan Jaffer wrote:
> I am connecting my laptop with M7i Fa ptp ip address. Ping from Laptop to
> M7i ptp address is fine, but reverse gives the amazing result
>
> *ping 30.40.50.2 source 30.40.50.1
> ping: bind: Can't assign requested address*
>
> Even i connect this interface to switch, observing the same behavior. What
> is the probable reason?

The router already has 30.40.50.1 configured on some other interface,
no interface at all, or when it was configured, the configuration
addition failed or was incomplete. For example: under some software
versions renaming an interface was caused problems under certain kind
of ip address configurations, AFAIR w/ vrrp or with ipv6 link-locals.