[j-nsp] recommended Netflow sampling rates?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Aug 28 13:25:10 EDT 2008

All:

This is aimed more at people who running Juniper routers in fairly high
traffic environments, but any input is certainly welcome.

I'm looking for recommendations/bast practices regarding what are good
starting points for setting the Netflow sampling rates to balance
accuracy of flow stats against not blowing the ASPIC-II out of the
water...

I've read a bit about this and the consensus seems to be that there is no
consensus :)  I've seen implementations using between 1 packet out of
every 100 to 1 out of 1000 with differing run lengths.

We do use Netflow based monitoring, so there is a need to sample often
enough to keep the data reasonably accurate.

jms