[j-nsp] IPv6 subnetting

snort bsd snortbsd at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 3 20:58:26 EST 2008

Here is from rfc4291:

2.6.1.  Required Anycast Address

   The Subnet-Router anycast address is predefined.  Its format is as
   follows:

Hinden                      Standards Track                    [Page 12]

RFC 4291              IPv6 Addressing Architecture         February 2006

   |                         n bits                 |   128-n bits   |
   +------------------------------------------------+----------------+
   |                   subnet prefix                | 00000000000000 |
   +------------------------------------------------+----------------+

   The "subnet prefix" in an anycast address is the prefix that
   identifies a specific link.  This anycast address is syntactically
   the same as a unicast address for an interface on the link with the
   interface identifier set to zero.

   Packets sent to the Subnet-Router anycast address will be delivered
   to one router on the subnet.  All routers are required to support the
   Subnet-Router anycast addresses for the subnets to which they have
   interfaces.

   The Subnet-Router anycast address is intended to be used for
   applications where a node needs to communicate with any one of the
   set of routers.
So the statements above is what you refer to?
The "subnet prefix" in an anycast address is the prefix that identifies a specific link. This anycast address is syntactically the same as a unicast address for an interface on the link with the interface identifier set to zero.

Then how
does
that
calculate/126? It should
give
me
four
addresses
with
first
one
being
network
ID/anycast address and
could
use
rest
of
three,
right? honestly, it doesn't sound right to me:

So, we subnet the address fec0::/126 according the rules of IPv4; 0~3,
4~7,
8~11,
12~15,
and
so
on... fec0::14/126 is not the first address of that subnet.

Or
am
missing
something?