[j-nsp] How to load a lot of prefixes

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com Keegan.Holley at sungard.com
Wed Feb 20 12:37:29 EST 2008

There are several products that can generate routes for testing depending
on your budget.  IXIA devices for example will do this and more.  I wanted
to the same thing a few months ago and I ended ip logging into a few route
servers and outputting a sh route/sh ip route to a text file.  Then I just
used notepad to add the commands to configure the routes as static routes
and pasted the result into the router.  This is no way to get the full
table, but I got about 25,000 routes (until I got bored).  If you really
want it to look like the real table you can add the routes to different
routers and advertise them from actual ISP AS numbers and/or modify the AS
path using with random policies.  I did this with cisco boxes so YMMV.

Keegan

"wang dong bei" <wang.dong.bei at gmail.com>
Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
02/20/08 12:05 PM

juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net>
cc

Subject
[j-nsp] How to load a lot of prefixes

Hi talented minds,

I want to do some testing with BGP and I need to inject a lots of routes,
preferably the entire Internet routing table, into some of the routers of
an
isolated lab. My initial approach is to capture the "show route bgp"
output
from one of my routers and massage the data into the "set routing-options
static prefix....." and load everything into my testing routers. However,
the script is more difficult to write, the result is full of errors, and
when I load the config, it somehow hang my terminal sessions.

So are there anyways to quickly populate the routing table of my testing
routers by administrative configuration means?

thanks for your help.

regards,

dong bei