[j-nsp] JUNOS 9.0 and CF requirement

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Feb 22 13:02:42 EST 2008

> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:46:06 -0600
> From: Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> In the JUNOS 9.0 release notes, there is a note:
>
>   RAM requirement increased (M-series, MX-series, and T-series routing
>   platforms) -- The compact flash disk memory requirement for JUNOS
>   software Release 9.0 is 1 GB. For M7i and M10i routing platforms with
>   only 256 MB memory, see the Customer Support Center JTAC Technical
>   Bulletin PSN-2007-10-001
>   https://www.juniper.net/alerts/viewalert.jsp?txtAlertNumber=PSN-2007-10-001&actionBtn=Search.
>
> This is worded poorly; it shifts between talking about flash and RAM
> (and the bulletin is for RAM).  There is another bulletin that does say
> the flash requirement is 1G and gives upgrade part numbers, but I don't
> see those parts available yet.
>
> I've got M10i routers with RE-850; has anyone tried non-Juniper CF card
> replacements?

Very common. I suggest the SiliconSystems Inc. 1GB card Juniper
uses. All  of the 1GB cards we have from Juniper (so far) are
SiliconSystems, but smaller cards come from SanDisk, STI, and
SiliconSystems.

I make no promises on Juniper support if third party cards are used,
but, since they are not specially marked in any way, I doubt that even
that would be a problem.

Speaking only as myself and not for my employer.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer