[j-nsp] My first juniper... kinda...

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Fri Jan 4 09:44:00 EST 2008

Looking at Juniper again after about 5 years, and I'd like some
feedback.  I have a client who has a requirement to drive a 100MB link
(so receive 100MB on one interface and transmit 100MB on another) on a
1U device that is cheap.  I've heard great things about the J series.
Based on the specs, a J2320 fits, however it doesn't support FE PIMs,
FE EPIMs or GE EPIMS.  It does, however, appear to support a GE UPIM.
What is the difference between a PIM/EPIM and a UPIM?  Throughput?  Is
the latter a layer 2 module only, and you can't route over them?