[j-nsp] My first juniper... kinda...

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Fri Jan 4 18:34:27 EST 2008

[...]
> Would two of the onboard ports each do wirespeed 100Mb,
> full duplex?    Are the onboards equivalent to PCI or are
> they equivalent to PCI-E?

  You know, I've no idea.  Taking a wild guess I'd say
PCI-E.  The SSG520/550, for instance, are P4/E7225 systems
with two Marvell PCI-E dual GbE chips.
  Performance-wise, Juniper is pretty straightforward in
their data sheets.  You'll have to factor in any additional
processing you'll be doing on the unit, but for a basic
config they're on the money (for the Netscreen and new J
series in particular -- old Jx300 data sheets quoted
performance based on a maximum configuration).

[...]
> Is there a matrix somewhere that lists the differences
> between Screen   and Jun?  As I understand it, Screen
> revolves more around security,   while Jun revolves more
> around Layer 3, but please - correct me if I'm   wrong.

  That's it.  ScreenOS has limitations from a "routing
platform" standpoint, e.g. 10000 route limit, no MPLS, MBGP,
OSPFv3 (yet) or IS-IS.  But for appropriate installations
it's quicker and easier to set up routing, firewall, and
VPNs than it would be using JUNOS.  And what Bill said.

Peter E. Fry