[j-nsp] AS-PAth Prepend and Loop Command

Chris Morrow morrowc at ops-netman.net
Mon Jan 7 09:31:10 EST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Leigh Porter wrote:

> Here here.. Who's idea was that?

perhaps someone doesn't want the other end talking to them? This I've seen
used as a security measure at times:  "AS1 is really bad, they have a
giant route list I can't filter that how about I just don't accept their
routes? Oh, I could do that by prepending their AS on my announcements,
done!"

> Scott Morris wrote:
>>> From a technical standpoint, yes.  BGP sees a loop whenever it sees its own
>> AS in the path.
>>
>>> From a political/personal standpoint, you need to reach out and smack the
>> brainchild that is prepending YOUR AS into their BGP records.  It would

they might be doing it for a reason they feel is valid (see above)

>> serve them right to not be reached.

that might be their intent...