[j-nsp] SSG Loadbalancing

GIULIANO (UOL) giulianocm at uol.com.br
Mon Jan 7 13:24:49 EST 2008

Look:

Juniper Networks security devices support equal cost
multipath (ECMP) routing on a
per-session basis. Routes of equal cost have the same
preference and metric values.
Once a security device associates a session with a route,
the security device uses
that route until a better route is learned or the current
route becomes unusable. The
eligible routes must have outgoing interfaces that belong to
the same zone.

If the outgoing interfaces do not belong to the same zone
and the return packet
goes to a zone other than the intended one, a session match
cannot occur and the
traffic may not go through.

When ECMP is enabled and the outgoing interfaces are
different and in NAT
mode, applications, such as HTTP, that create multiple
sessions will not work
correctly. Applications, such as telnet or SSH, that create
one session should work
correctly.

ECMP assists with load-balancing among two to four routes to
the same destination
or increases the effective bandwidth usage among two or more
destinations. When
ECMP is enabled, security devices use the statically defined
routes or dynamically
learn multiple routes to the same destination through a
routing protocol.

The security device assigns routes of equal cost in rotating
(round-robin) fashion. <-----

Without ECMP, the security device only uses the first
learned or defined route.
Other routes that are of equal cost remain unused until the
currently active route is
no longer active.

When using ECMP, if you have two security devices in a
neighbor relationship and
you notice packet loss and improper load-balancing, check
the Address Resolution
Protocol (ARP) configuration of the neighbor device to make
sure the arp
always-on-dest feature is disabled (default).

... from:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/screenos/screenos6.
0.0/CE_v7.pdf

Att,