[j-nsp] pfe_listener_disconnect errors on M120

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jan 10 00:56:01 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:59:42PM -0400, Ying Zhang wrote:
> we have a M120 with dual REs. I noticed error messages on the log file
>
> On the Master RE:
> Jan  9 10:02:22  XX/kernel: pfe_listener_disconnect: conn dropped: listener
> idx=4, tnpaddr=0x5, reason: none
> Jan  9 10:02:53  XX/kernel: pfe_listener_disconnect: conn dropped: listener
> idx=4, tnpaddr=0x5, reason: none
> I googled it, seems it happens when the two REs running different versions
> of software. But my two REs run the same version 8.4R2.4. Any sugguestions?

Basically this message just means that the master RE saw the backup RE
disconnecting. TNP is the protocol used for communication between Juniper
PFE components, you can find out what the specific component is by looking
at the /etc/tnp.hosts file from the shell. For example:

> grep tnp:5 /etc/tnp.hosts
tnp:5           re1

As for figuring out WHY, the backup RE itself will probably have a better
idea of what happened to cause the drop. It could be any number of things
really, not just a version mismatch in the inter-RE communication API, so
login to the backup RE and look at the logs there.