[j-nsp] BFD over ethernet

Sean Clarke sean at clarke-3.demon.nl
Fri Jan 11 04:58:37 EST 2008

Depends what you want to do.

Juniper supports static BFD, or BFD for OSPF & ISIS ... even PIM

BFD is compatible with Cisco,  just watch the version number, Juniper
supports v0 and v1, not sure Cisco does v1 (didn't the last time I looked)

static : (looks a bit strange due to next hop and neighbor being the
same as the route ... the 1.1.1.2 is adjacent to your interface)

routing-options {
static {
    route 1.1.1.2/32 {
        next-hop 1.1.1.2;
        bfd-liveness-detection {
            neighbor 1.1.1.2;
            minimum-interval 100;  <-- milliseconds
            multiplier 3;
        }
    }
}
}

ISIS

protocols {
isis {
    interface ge-0/0/0.0 {
        bfd-liveness-detection {
            version automatic;
            minimum-interval 100;
            multiplier 3;
        }
    }
}
}

OSPF

protocols {
ospf {
    area 0.0.0.0 {
        interface ge-0/0/0.0 {
            bfd-liveness-detection {
                version automatic;
                minimum-interval 100;
                multiplier 3;
            }
        }
    }
}
}

By default this runs on the RE .. so can be limited if you have many
sessions.

However turning on this knob ....

# show routing-options
ppm {
    delegate-processing;
}

...will enable it on the PFE .. hence will scale much better.
This only works on the later Juniper models though.

cheers
Sean