[j-nsp] Cisco to Juniper Question

Paul Carter - ehosting Limited paul.carter at ehosting.com
Thu Jan 17 06:16:11 EST 2008

Hi Guys,

I am still fairly new to Juniper so please be patient!

We currently use Cisco Catalyst switches for our routing however I am
switching over to Juniper J-Series Routers as the Catalysts have a limit
on the number of HSRP sessions, where the Junipers use VRRP which has a
limit of 255.

I have the BGP and VRRP set up running fine, along with VLAN tagging on
the interfaces which trunk to our existing catalyst switches.

However, I have now hit a brick wall with some of the configuration I
have on the Cisco's. At the moment I have, for example a VLAN such as below:

interface Vlan 100
	ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
!

This will allow any devices connected to the relevant switchport/VLAN on
the catalyst to use the IP's from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.253 with no
problems. However, I would like to route 192.168.2.0/24 into this VLAN.

On the Cisco's this is not a problem, I can simply use this line to
achieve this:

ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 Vlan100

However, on the Junipers I am unable to do this. Is this possible, if so
how would I go about configuring this?

Many Thanks,
Paul