[j-nsp] Cisco to Juniper Question

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Thu Jan 17 07:50:20 EST 2008

* Paul Carter:

> However, on the Junipers I am unable to do this. Is this possible, if so
> how would I go about configuring this?

It's possible (in the sense that the configuration is accepted) to
make the whole interface unnumbered.  Then you can route prefixes to
the interface (and not to a next hop).  But even though this is
documented, the router (also J-series in my cases) begins to behave
erratically when encountering this configuration.

(I don't think the performance concern is valid.  There needs to be an
ARP entry somewhere, an interface route only changes where it is kept.
Large prefixes may create problems, but this is similar to what
happens with a large directly connected subnet.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99