[j-nsp] out-bound anti-spoofing rules when using community-based routing

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:56:21 EST 2008

  We use community-based routing for our internet customers in that
any static routes or accepted BGP routes are tagged with a community,
such that we'll know what we should and should not export to our
upstreams.  This helps to avoid having to maintain large prefix-lists
on each node.
  I'm now struggling to find another way to prevent our customers from
spoofing.  The previous method relied on a firewall filter which
indeed references a prefix-list of all our customers' space.  I'm
having a hard time getting away from this, as I can't create a
firewall filter which will look up the community assigned to a
source-address (to see if it's legitimately a customer).
  How have others gotten around this?  Am I overlooking something?  Or
is maintaining large lists the only way to go ?

David