[j-nsp] J2320 Issues

Jose Madrid jmadrid2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:12:14 EST 2008

Hello all,

I currently have a j2320 with 90 BGP peers and receiving 500K+ routes.
 This device has 1GB RAM and it consistently at 75% Memory usage, for
obvious reasons and previously was consistently about 40% CPU.  The
issue we are having is that once I go over 40Mbps on the main circuit
on this device, we start seeing subtle packet loss  of about 1% and
latency through this device.  I opened a JTAC case as I had noticed
some issues similar to those listed here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg01686.html.
 I upgraded the code on the device to 8.5R1.14 and now am seeing other
issues related to the reporting of CPU usage.  So my question is can
anybody lend any advice as to what may be going on with the traffic
and the packet loss being caused? Also with the CPU reporting, etc.
Thanks in advance for any info you guys can send over my way.

CPU utilization:
      User                     -17 percent
      Real-time threads        185 percent
      Kernel                   -167 percent
      Idle                      99 percent

Output of show bgp summary:
Groups: 7 Peers: 85 Down peers: 3
Table          Tot Paths  Act Paths Suppressed    History Damp State    Pending
inet.0            584762     243156          0          0          0          0

--
It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime.  What better
place than here? What better time than now?