[j-nsp] Application of L2 VPN in Real World Scenario

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 16 07:38:03 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 19:21:50 Abhi wrote:

> I have been the the JNCIS book and preparing for the exam
> to i came across the L2 VPNS section. Finding it
> difficult to identify the real world application of such
> L2 vpns using FR and ATM.
>
> Can anyone explain me where these are used and why.

For us, the interest we've had from customers is Ethernet,
mainly.

A situation where I'd see this happening is if a customer's
only means of connectivity is via leased line (no Metro-E
or such). In such a case, FRoMPLS or PPPoMPLS (and perhaps,
interworking PPP/FRoMPLS with EoMPLS) might make sense.

We don't support ATM (as a Layer 2 protocol); but then
again, customers haven't come asking for it either, so...

In some economies, I've seen banks reluctant to move away
from FR (or even x.25) for their ATM (too many acronyms)
machine connectivity. These could be candidate customers
for FRoMPLS if they paid for your L2VPN service.

Mark.