[j-nsp] J-2320 base configuration - gotchas

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Jul 24 19:50:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 06:54:42PM -0300, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
> I'm sizing a J-2320, and noticed the following RAM and flash defaults:
>
> ? 256 MB DRAM default, expandable to 1 GB DRAM
> ? 256 MB compact flash default, upgradeable to 1 G

Juniper is nowadays shipping J2320-SC with 512M DRAM by default because
of JUNOS 9.1 requiring more than the old 256M standard:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/jseries/junos91/rn-jseries-91/j-series-compact-flash-and-memory-requirements.html#rn-cf-mem-reqs

Interstingly, this table says max 2GB on J2320 - product "spec sheet"
still says 256M by default, max 1GB.

Still, we're upgrading CF and DRAM to 1GB each to be ready for "full
table" BGP, and able to have several JUNOS packages stored on the
router. 256M flash was definately not comfortable (not even room for
a single new JUNOS image file), and 256M DRAM even broke with just IPv6
full table (~1000 routes). So for "very few routes" you should be
somewhat ok with 512M DRAM and 512M flash, but we settle for 1G/1G as
standard so we're fine for "any" application.

BTW, J2320 has 4 DRAM slots and happily eats far more than just 1GB or
even 2GB. We have one box in lab with 2.5G (1G+1G+256M+256M). Of course
that's against product management's plans for J2320, so beware of losing
JTAC support. :)

Best regards,
Daniel