[j-nsp] L2Circuits vs L2 VPN

Piotr Marecki peter at mareccy.org
Sun Jul 27 04:52:47 EDT 2008

Ehlo,

Docs are correct , although semantics may be misleding sometimes...

In that particular example docs are refering CCC circuit-cross connect (
which is the oldest
method for JNPR to do l2 over mpls ) but  its proprietary and uses one RSVP
LSP per l2 circuit
(or rather two LSPs for bidirectional communication).
You can configure that kind of interconnection under [edit protocols
connections] stanza. There is no notion of
hierarchy in circuit-cross connect like you can find in L2VPN and PW docs.

Other JNPR L2 over MPLS are l2circuit ( pseudo wire emulation ) , L2VPNs and
VPLS ( eth specific ). Apart from signalization
protocol L2VPN and l2circuits have other differences ( like on2one vs
one-to-many etc ) but as you pointed it out correctly , they both exchange
circuit "demultiplexor" labels and thus are able to use same PSN tunnel for
different  circuits.

rgrds

Piotr Marecki