[j-nsp] Originate a default route

angel angel.bardarov at btc-net.bg
Mon Jul 28 11:29:07 EDT 2008

Chris Adams wrote:
> I'm trying to originate a default route on a JUNOS router (M10i) that is

Is it BGP, OSPF , ISIS where you 're trying to originate it?
> currently default-free.  I see recommendations to do "set
> routing-options static route default discard", but that seems bad to me

In general  in Junos we use "generated" routes - not static ones.
> for a couple of reasons:
>
> - changes routing behavior: normally attempting to go to an IP with no
>   matching route returns network unreachable, but discard just drops

"reject" option would give you desired ICMP unreachables.
> - changes uRPF behavior: loose-mode uRPF is now meaningless
>
> I think using "reject" instead of "discard" would keep the same routing
> behavior.  However, since JUNOS treats "discard" and "reject" as valid
> destinations for uRPF (unlike Cisco IOS and interface Null0), I don't
> see a way to originate a default route (since JUNOS can't just originate
> a default route like Cisco IOS) and still have useful loose-mode uRPF.

I'm not sure where and how is uRPF applied in your topology but you may
check following link:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-network-interfaces/unicast-rpf-and-default-routes.html

Angel Bardarov