[j-nsp] Filter-based forwarding

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:22:12 EDT 2008

I can't really comment on any anomalies seen when using FBF as I
haven't seen any, but performance shouldn't be an issue due to the
Juniper packet forwarding architecture.  The IPII processor was
designed to make route lookups, forwarding decisions, and firewall
filtering (amongst other features) at very high speeds and the
technology has been proven for quite some time now.  The notification
cells are going to the IPII Processor regardless of whether you've got
FBF enabled or not, therefore in theory, there really shouldn't be any
performance impact at all.  The reality is that under certain
scenarios there might be a very slight performance impact on smaller
packet sizes (< 128Byes), but that impact is mostly negligible.

There are numerous case-studies as well as independant lab tests which
confirm it as such and if you do a google search you should be able to
find ample information to confirm this.

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant
Principal Network Engineer