[j-nsp] vrrp question

Erol KAHRAMAN erol.kahraman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 03:12:09 EST 2008

hi,

i have two m7i boxes. I use vrrp for redundancy and track the OUT interface
with the following configuration.

Router1> show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/0
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        filter {
            output FILTER2;
        }
        address 193.140.71.4/24 {
            vrrp-group 0 {
                virtual-address 193.140.71.6;
                priority 100;
                preempt;
                authentication-type md5;
                authentication-key  ## SECRET-DATA
                track {
                    interface ge-1/3/0.0 {
                        priority-cost 10;

Router2> show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/0
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        filter {
            output FILTER2;
        }
        address 193.140.71.5/24 {
            vrrp-group 0 {
                virtual-address 193.140.71.6;
                priority 95;
                preempt;
                authentication-type md5;
                authentication-key ## SECRET-DATA

However now i have to put a new device (switch) between my router and my ISP
connection. Normally my vrrp configuration can not detect the line problems.
Is there any solution for this configuration.

Is it possible to write a script that can check my neighbour and disable the
interface in case the line is down.

--
Erol KAHRAMAN
System Network Administrator