[j-nsp] MX vs. M

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Mar 10 18:02:51 EDT 2008

> > I have a hard time believing the MX isn't crippled in some way,
> > because it seems to me that if it weren't, it would stand to
> > cannibalize the M Series market.

Not really. It's Ethernet only, and no service PICs or anything like
that (so if you need RE-based sampled Netflow you're okay, but you
can't do the sampling rates that an M/T could with a suitable PIC.
Also, the 10Gig ports *will* handle WAN PHY (this is even documented).

> > Is the MX as good as it's cracked up to be?  Is the only reason
> > Juniper isn't worried about cannibalization due to the fact that the
> > MX is Ethernet only where the M is mixed media?
> >
> it also has ome expensive cards when you want L3 features, like way more
> expensive than an M series router.

Not really. The cards are dense, but the price per port is quite good
if you need the density.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no