[j-nsp] One router/two firewalls config question

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Mar 12 14:31:55 EDT 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Amos Rosenboim wrote:

> The exception to that is when the customer access circuit
> is Ethernet based (and we see more and more of this).
> In such situation what we do is put a layer 2 switch to
> connect customer circuits, and connect two edge routers
> to this switch. Then we either configure the customer
> with two bgp sessions (one for each router) or do vrrp
> between the edge routers and ask the customer to point
> his 0.0.0.0/0 to the virtual address.

Right - this achieves Layer 3 redundancy, but not Layer 1 or
2. That notwithstanding, yes, it's better than nothing.

Terminations not-of-an-Ethernet-persuasion are, however,
left in a quagmire for single-homed customers.

> The last point is that the new EX switches are the only
> fixed configuration switches I know that comes with dual
> power supplies and field replaceable fans.

C also have switches that support field-replaceable fan
trays as well as RPS (DC).

Mark.