[j-nsp] Session utilization is 90% of the system capacity

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:01:42 EDT 2008

Hi Vincent,

Basically the message you are seeing in the log file is indicating that your
device's session table is almost full.  This can be caused by legitimate
traffic or it could be caused by malicious traffic in the form of port
scans, ping sweeps, worm outbreaks, or various other types of unwanted
traffic.

The easiest way to determine what is causing this is to connect to the
device via telnet/ssh/console and issue the "get session" command.  You may
be able to look at the output and easily identify what is causing the large
number of sessions.  However, as you are likely to have a large amount of
data it might be easier to save this output to a .txt file and using
something like the 'Firewall Session
Analyzer<http://www.juniperforum.com/index.php/topic,3656.0.html>'
available on Juniper's Support site to analyze the data.

Once you have identified the source of the large number of sessions, the
following remedies may be used to fix the problem:

A) Eliminate the undesired traffic from the identified host
B) Set your protocol timeouts for the protocol in question to something
lower, so that the matching sessions age out quicker and therefore do not
hog session resources
C) Set Screening options to enforce Source or Destination Session Limits

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant