[j-nsp] PFE problem?

Paul Goyette pgoyette at juniper.net
Tue Mar 18 08:27:00 EDT 2008

>From a soon-to-be-published knowledge base article:

sanchini at nantes> show pfe statistics traffic
[...]
Packet Forwarding Engine hardware discard statistics:
    Timeout                    :                    0
    Truncated key              :                    0
    Bits to test               :                    0
    Data error                 :                    0
    Stack underflow            :                    0
    Stack overflow             :                    0
    Normal discard             :                 3077
    Extended discard           :                  134
    Invalid interface          :                    0
    Info cell drops            :                    0
    Fabric drops               :                    0

The normal discard counter, in the show pfe statistics traffic output,
reports the number of packets (notifications) that are silently
discarded at packet forwarding engine level, without being further
processed by the host (CPU on the System board or on the Routing
Engine).

Paul Goyette
Juniper Networks Customer Service
JTAC Senior Escalation Engineer