[j-nsp] BGP peering from a VIP address

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Mar 28 12:30:19 EDT 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Stefan Fouant wrote:
> There is some internal debate here in my office today as to whether or not
> Juniper can support a BGP implementation in conjunction with VRRP, as in,
> BGP is sourced from a VRRP VIP address.
>
> Now before everyone attempts to tear me a new one...  I should state that
> I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be done and to do so would pretty much break
> the protocol in every way imaginable... however, I am being told that Cisco
> has some knobs to accomplish this and I just want to be certain if Juniper
> can do something along these lines...

I guess this would work, for some definition of "work", if you add
"accept-data" under VRRP config.

The BGP session would flap when VRRP mastership switches (TCP reset,
so it would likely be re-established quickly), but depending on the
number of routes carried and some other BGP timers, this would be
possible.

I'm not sure what motivation there would be to configure BGP to VIP
address, instead of just having two BGP sessions and tuning down BGP
timers (and/or using BFD).