[j-nsp] Which Router

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Wed May 14 09:37:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:06:27AM -0400, Jose Madrid wrote:
> I think I am the only one having issues with my J2320.  I use it as a
> peering device and have 91 BGP peers on there.  It has 1GB of RAM,
> about 492K routes, and it averages 72% CPU utilization.  Traffic-wise,
> it does about 38Mbps to one peering point and 55Mbps to another.  It
> is holding up surprisingly well, but to be honest I expected a bit
> more.  Maybe sometimes I am too demanding, and this was a $2000
> device, so I shouldnt complain much :)

You're not the only one... :) However, my complaint is quite
different - my J6350/1G RAM is unable to run full-view :)
Sessions just drops due to low memory...

Well, based on others experience I can suggest that it's because
I run lots of 'not-so-standard' stuff, like all my iBGP sessions
configured for 'family inet labeled-unicast resolve-vpn', 'family
inet-vpn' and 'family inet6'... And, anyway, full-view is never
considered something I must run on that router.

PS: no problems with traffic. Right now it runs ~700Mbit at 50% idle.
And costs much less than c7301 it replaced :)