[j-nsp] Which Router

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu May 15 05:43:29 EDT 2008

"Peter E. Fry" <pfry-lists at redsword.com> writes:

>   I don't know if this matters to anyone, but most of the J
> series can be redeployed as firewalls, too, with a bit of
> license work (money, time, and a bit of divine
> intervention).

How good are they in that capacity? We're considering exactly that,
for hundreds of virtual systems with a low aggregate bandwidth.

Netscreen doesn't let you have all that many virtual systems per box,
and the price is actually higher per virtual system than simply giving
each customer an SSG-5. Of course a rack full of SSG-5's would look a
bit silly, and the cabling wouldn't be much fun...

/Benny