[j-nsp] Burst Reset question on Juniper M5

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Thu May 15 16:51:07 EDT 2008

I've seen it explained as a 'leaky bucket' model -  the bandwidth limit effectively becomes how fast data is allowed out of the bucket, and the burst-size-limit becomes the bucket size.

I'm not sure if this is an accurate representation of how it is really modelled, then, if it is, you would have to wait 10 seconds between each 10Mbit burst on your 1Mbit/s limited link. If you burst at the high rate for too long, the bucket becomes full and packets start being discarded.

Hope this helps

Michael