[j-nsp] T1s and remote loops

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed May 28 11:13:41 EDT 2008

I have a bunch of customer T1s terminating on M10is with PE-4CHDS3-QPP
PICs.  I have enabled t1-options remote-loopback-respond for them
(because otherwise when the telco is testing a T1 they say they can't
loop our equipment and stop).

We have noticed that when the telco tests and turns up a T1 (new or
old), we have to go into our M10i and set a loop and then clear it
before the T1 comes up (or alternately remove the interface config and
then reconfig it).  It appears that something is getting "stuck" in the
M10i that isn't releasing a remotely-sent loop (we've had the telco
"forget" to drop loops in the past, but this has been happening with
every single T1 test now, so we suspect the M10i).

I have been trying to reproduce this with a test setup of an M10i, an
Adtran MX2800 M13 mux, an Adtran TSU, and a Cisco 2501, but I can't make
it happen (I can send and drop remote loop codes to the M10i from the
Adtran TSU with no problems).

Also, I realized that the M10i has no indication of when a T1 has been
looped with a remote loop code (at least that I can find), which makes
this rather hard to diagnose and debug.

This is all with JUNOS 8.5R2.10.

Any ideas/suggestions?
--