[j-nsp] Q-in-Q configuration on Juniper Gig interface

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat May 31 05:14:11 EDT 2008

> I'd been told that it worked by people who were supposedly using non-IQ
> SFP PICs to push/pop outer tags to terminate Q-in-Q vlans. Is vlan-map
> functionality perhaps seperate from configuring flexible/stacked tagging?

As far as we have been able to determine, no. As soon as you want to do
anything involving "vlan-tags outer ... inner ..." or you want to do
pop/push/swap, you need IQ or better (IQ2, MX).

Note that the documentation here is somewhat contradictory. On this page

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-network-interfaces/stacking-and-rewriting-gigabit-ethernet-iq-vlan-tags.html#id-12141009

it essentially says you can do stacking and rewriting on all GigE:

"On Gigabit Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet IQ, Gigabit Ethernet IQ2,
10-Gigabit Ethernet IQ2 interfaces, and MX-series router Gigabit
Ethernet, Tri-Rate Ethernet copper, and 10-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
with the VLAN encapsulation type configured to support Layer 2 tunneling
protocols such as CCC or VPLS (as described in Configuring 802.1Q
VLANs), you can stack and rewrite VLAN tags."

while on the page for input-vlan-map,

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-network-interfaces/input-vlan-map.html#id-13021330

it says "For Gigabit Ethernet IQ interfaces only, define the rewrite
profile to be applied to incoming frames on this logical interface.".

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no