[j-nsp] Why should I *not* buy an MX?

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:25:40 EST 2008

  I've done L2VPN (Kompella), L2Ckt (Martini), VRF, full BGP routes,
LDP, RSVP-TE on an MX960, and it all seems to 'work' so far.  Done
some QoS testing as well, though not yet finished.  It too, seems to
just 'work'.  I haven't found much that I 'dislike' about it yet
(other than the -R cards not showing ingress queue stats).

  My biggest complaint about the MX line so far is the comparitively
rediculous cost.  At $100k for a 20-port E-Q-model Gig SFP line card
for an MX480 (minus any heavy discounting), you can buy a fully
populated box with twice the ports and all the functionality (minus
Kompella-stuff) from other vendors, like Foundry's MLX or XMR lines
(which, like any vendor, come with their own surmountable
limitations).  Makes for a tough sell sometimes.

  As several folks here have commented before though, if cost isn't an
issue, I dunno why you wouldn't go with the MX if you're a Juniper fan
(which I am).

David