[j-nsp] Why should I *not* buy an MX?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Nov 8 09:02:54 EST 2008

> >> Because it's expensive compared to possible alternatives outside
> >> J-Land, including, but not limited to, Force-10.
> >
> > force10's cost advantage is chipped away at by the OP's IPv6 requirement.
>
> Yes, IPv6 and MPLS are not currently supported (and they might be or
> not, in the future) by Force-10. Pricewise that would lead to choosing
> Cisco Cat6K with or without DFCs depending on throughput requirements.

Cisco Cat6K with traditional "LAN" type cards = globally significant
VLAN IDs. That alone throws the solution right out the window for us.
There are many other features that Cisco Cat6K with LAN type cards do
not support, for instance dual tagged VLANs.

It all depends on your requirements, of course. For us, the MX looks
very attractive, both featurewise and pricewise. But again, we use it
as a router, now a switch.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no