[j-nsp] Why should I *not* buy an MX?

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com Keegan.Holley at sungard.com
Sat Nov 8 16:12:37 EST 2008

Technically all routers are switches (or groups of switches in the case of
GSR's and M series, etc).  Unless you are doing process switching (not
recommended) all the routing function really does is generate and cache a
series of forwarding destinations for the switching ASIC's.  Once this is
done all the packets are switched the same way they are in layer 2
devices.  There are some functions that come along with L3 intelligence
such as ACL's,/FW filters and QOS but even here the actual work is done by
the switching ASIC's, but this is all semantics anyway.