[j-nsp] Why should I *not* buy an MX?

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 12:18:19 EST 2008

The only things I don't like as much about the MX is the various
flavors of DPCs they offer depending on what your application might be
(queueing options), having to keep track of limitations on certain
cards (like Cisco), and licensing of certain features.   We've been
testing the MX960 and have them deployed in a few sites today, and
they are as solid as the M/T series.   We've tested pretty much
everything you've listed there with the box in both a core/agg role
and found no real flaws that weren't software related, meaning they
affected the M/T as well.

It's a great platform.  It still doesn't compete with the 7600 on
price for most of the market, considering there are tons of people out
there that don't need the more expensive ESxx 7600 cards, but for
those that are looking at 7600 w/ES20/ES40 vs. MX series, I'd take the
MX.

Phil