[j-nsp] Qn about EXP rewrite rule inputs

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:29:11 EST 2008

  If I'm writing a rewrite rule (EXP bits) in which I want to set MPLS
EXP bit 000 for traffic in a given forwarding-class, should I be able
to cover situations where the traffic has both high and low
loss-priorities?
  My understanding is that rewrite rules have 2 inputs
(forwarding-class and loss-priority) and 1 output (EXP bit, in my
case).  Should I not be able to do something like this:

[edit class-of-service classifiers ieee802.1 my-classifier]
forwarding-class be-low-fc {
    loss-priority low code-points 000;
}
<snip>
[edit class-of-service rewrite-rules exp my-rule-name]
forwarding-class be-low-fc {
    loss-priority high code-point 000;
    loss-priority low code-point 000;
}

  which would set EXP bit to 000 for traffic in be-low-fc forwarding
class, whether it had high OR low loss-priority?  Lab testing is
indicating otherwise, in that if my classifier sets the loss-priority
to high and puts the traffic in be-low-fc forwarding-class, then my
rewrite-rule doesn't work as expected (it sets the EXP to 001, in
fact).  As soon as I change the classifier to read as above (set LP
low), it works.  Am I to understand that it's not a logical OR in the
rewrite rule, and instead I need to have a 1:1 mapping of FC+LP=unique
EXP ?  If so, I'm wondering why the commit is succeeding without
warnings. Insight appreciated.

David