[j-nsp] MPLS implicit null question

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:56:26 EST 2008

  This may sound strange, but if I don't explicitly have 'explicit
null' configured under [edit protocols mpls], I'm doing implicit null
by default, right?  So adjacent LERs should be sending me label 3 to
instruct me to do penultimate hop popping?  Shouldn't I be able to see
that label 3 anywhere, such as mpls.0 ?  I 'believe' my config would
indicate that I'm doing PHP, but I"m now looking for evidence of it
due to some anomalies I'm seeing.

I have a T-series connected to an MX in the lab, OSPF/BGP/LDP/RSVP
between them, and an L2VPN built across them.  If I stick a switch
between the 2 of them and sniff the data I"m sending across the L2VPN
(with a test set), I'm seeing the traffic still MPLS-encapsulated,
which, according to implicit null theory as I understand it, shouldn't
be happening.

  Arugh ?

David