[j-nsp] JR "Global static route" configuration

Andrew Jimmy good1 at live.com
Fri Nov 21 09:33:11 EST 2008

Two minor points you can have multiple static routes for the same
destination address with the same preference (juniper) admin distance
(Cisco) and difference interfaces for load balancing. The exception is the
default gateway 0.0.0.0 which can only occur once per admin distance but you
can use the interface method with difference admin distance described above
to provide resilience for 0.0.0.0. These methods are used when you do not
want to use a routing protocol.

You can have multiple static routes for the same destination address with
different preference (Juniper) admin distance (Cisco). In Juniper world
Qualified Next Hops is the way to go. For example,

routing-options {
    static {
        route 1.1.1.1/32 {
            next-hop 2.2.2.2;