[j-nsp] MX vs. M - Update!

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Nov 22 22:01:40 EST 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 07:48:48 Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> But think of it this way... The density on the type-2 MX
> FPC is pretty terrible (taking up 2 MX slots for 2 type-2
> PICs, or trading 80Gbps of bw for 5Gbps), and the price
> is nearly that of a 4x10GE DPC. You've really gotta be
> pretty darn desperate for a SONET PIC to go to that much
> trouble and expense, and I personally don't think there
> are any type-1 PICs which are valuable enough to make
> that a viable product.

The consistent problem of trying to turn an Ethernet box
into an SDH/SONET router as well.

We saw what happened when Cisco tried to do this for their
6500 and 7600 platforms, with the FlexWAN carrier cards,
and now the SIP carrier cards.

The fact of the matter is that with more carriers (local,
regional and international) opening up support for Ethernet
LAN/WAN PHY for IPLC's, it sometimes makes sense to look at
a box like the MX-series for the core, especially since it
has the non-R-Q DPC's that make upgrades to 10Gbps cheaper
than what you'd get on other routing platforms.

If anything, the MX-FPC would be a temporary and short-term
solution if Ethernet were not possible, and service
providers had to stick SDH/SONET somewhere into the core
(if it's cheaper than buying an M7i/M10i with a
corresponding PIC, that is). The only issue is that given
that the MX-FPC takes up two whole slots, there's quite a
trade-off in bandwidth without a corresponding reduction in
cost (for the MX-FPC).

What would probably have made more sense is a DPC-FPC combo
that takes up only a single slot, so that Juniper could
develop single-width (if I can call them that) PIC's,
sacrificing only half the bandwidth to support SDH/SONET,
based on today's MX-series switch fabric.

Yes, it means developing a whole new range of PIC's for a
box that might not be a success in the SDH/SONET space, but
it might be more palatable if pitched against using
existing PIC's over 2 slots and losing nearly 80Gbps of
bandwidth, or buying new PIC's for one slot and losing only
half that.

Of course, when the switch fabric does get upgraded to
80Gbps/slot, 100Gbps/slot, or more, this DPC-FPC combo
would just as well become more difficult to justify, unless
the PIC's can be made a lot smaller so you can fit more on
one DPC-FPC; but that's not something I'm qualified to
posit about.

Mark.