[j-nsp] Lying about BGP capabilities

Rob Evans internetplumber at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:59:17 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I've recently upgraded a few routers to JUNOS 9.1R2, which has
introduced four byte ASNs (this is a good thing).

Within BGP, this feature is announced as a new capability (65) in the
BGP OPEN message.

However, one of our customers has a less than ideal (aka broken)
router which, when it sees this capability, tears the session down.

Now, I know they should just be ignoring it, but whilst they take this
issue up with their vendor, is there any way I can tell the Juniper
not to advertise the four-byte ASN capability in the BGP OPEN?  I've
had a look, and can't see anything *documented*... :)

All the best,
Rob