[j-nsp] Junos Equiv to Network Statement

Jonathan Looney jonlooney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:02:15 EDT 2008

The JUNOS software allows you to export any active(*) routes from your
routing table to any peer.  You choose the routes to export via a
policy statement.

The default policy is to export routes received from other BGP peers.
(Obviously, it won't reflect routes received from one iBGP peer to
another iBGP peer unless route reflection is enabled.)

So, if you want to send a certain network to a particular peer (or
group of peers), just write a policy statement that does this and
apply it to the session.

For example, this policy permits the route 10.0.0.0/16:
+  policy-options {
+      policy-statement permit-a-network {
+          term the-network {
+              from {
+                  route-filter 10.0.0.0/16 exact;
+              }
+              then accept;
+          }
+      }
+  }

And, this applies it to the neighbor 172.17.1.1:
+  protocols {
+      bgp {
+          group a-group {
+              neighbor 172.17.1.1 {
+                  export permit-a-network;
+      }
+  }

This is only a very brief overview of policy and BGP. You really
should consult some of Juniper's on-line training or one of the
Juniper books for more detail.

-Jon

(*) - In recent JUNOS versions, I believe there is also a way to send
inactive routes, but I think that is irrelevant to your question.