[j-nsp] MX sw license

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Sun Oct 19 09:48:14 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 05:50:04PM -0700, Marlon Duksa wrote:
> Does anyone know if sw license is required for a lab use on MX in 9.2? These
> are the messages that we are getting:
> admin at mx-re0> show system alarms
> 2 alarms currently active
> Alarm time               Class  Description
> 2008-10-17 17:24:30 PDT  Minor  License grace period for feature 31 is about
> to expire
> 2008-10-17 17:23:29 PDT  Minor  Radius/SDX Address Pool Assignment usage
> requires a license
>
> Is this licensing honorary based or does it actually prevent  a feature from
> working?

License enforcement for Subscriber access and related features is described
here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos92/swconfig-install/license-enforcement.html#jN12F73

and, as far as I can understand, if you are not abused by warning messages
on commit and not requesting official support for licenseable features -
you can use licenseable features even after grace period...

At least for now...

Sometimes that may change - f.e., J-Flow and Andvanced BGP (route-reflection)
licenses were not enforced for J-Series for before JunOS 8.5, and enforcement
of them were clearly outlined in release notes:

 From JUNOS Release 8.5 onwards, if you have not installed a
valid license, the BGP router reflectors and J-Flow traffic
analysis features do not function.

(http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/jseries/junos85/rn-jseries-85/changes-in-default-behavior.html)