[j-nsp] quickly retireing sw relases

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Oct 24 05:55:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Paul Goyette wrote:
>> Does anyone know why is JNPR so quickly retiring SW releases? JUNOS
>> 9.0 is released not even a year ago. Why they are already talking
>> about retiring it?
>>
>> Technical Bulletin Subject: End of Support Reminder - JUNOS
>> 9.0 software
>
> Please see Juniper's End-of-Life policy at
>
> 	http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/
>
> Partial quote:
>
> 	All JUNOS ... software releases are supported for up to
> 	eighteen (18) months or two (2) subsequent releases of
> 	such software, whichever occurs first.
>
> Since JUNOS 9.3 is about to be released, 9.0 falls out of the
> two-subsequent-release window.

However, FYI, even though a software version has already reached EOL,
if you encounter problems using it, JTAC will still (at least as of
some time ago) investigate the problems at least to a point.  Not sure
if they'd do so if someone were to open a case running 4.x or 5.x
software though :-).

We've had a bunch of interesting first comments from JTAC, but we've
yet to see "upgrade your software".