[j-nsp] ospf import policy

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Oct 25 10:08:23 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 05:52:44PM +0500, Andrew Jimmy wrote:
> To keep consistency of ospf database; we don't use import policy. If we
> don't need import policy for ospf protocol why the heck juniper developers
> are giving us an option to configure it. Can someone please write the usage
> of import policy for OSPF protocol.

You misunderstood what the import policy chain does. It does NOT
influence OSPF's database, but only the acceptance of OSPF routes into
the local RIB. So LSAs not accepted by the import chain are still
properly forwarded to other OSPF neighbors, maintaining the consistent
database in all OSPF nodes.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-routing/configuring-ospf-routing-policy.html

"OSPF import policy allows users to define policy to prevent adding OSPF
routes to the routing table. This filtering happens when OSPF installs
the route in the routing table. You can filter the routes, but not LSA
flooding."

Best regards,
Daniel