[j-nsp] routing optimal path or suboptimal path

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Oct 26 08:25:15 EDT 2008

On Sunday 26 October 2008 00:08:00 Andrew Jimmy wrote:

> How do you guys practically configure this. What do you
> mean by this that default routing is sub-optimal and
> unsupported? So what you have to do make it optimal.

What I simply mean is that each router's infrastructure and
Loopback addresses must be propagated within the IGP -
either OSPF or IS-IS.

A route to each node must exist, explicitly, in the routing
and forwarding tables of each router in the network.

Default and summary routing may not necessarily choose the
best (shortest) path to a node, as it just forwards the
traffic to the next hop, which may or may not be optimal.

> It would be nice if you can further explain this.

For BGP, what I meant to say is that there are both
technical and commercial reasons to consider that can
influence how routing decisions can be made.

The strategy for each network would differ based on these
(and perhaps, other) factors.

Cheers,

Mark.